The following is a rough translation of the Henan Provincial Party Committee and Provincial Government Circular Regarding the Issuance of the "Program for Construction of a Peaceful Henan," issued April 26, 2006. (Translation done by Tom Stutsman)
Henan Provincial Party Committee and Provincial Government Circular Regarding the Issuance of the "Program for Construction of a Peaceful Henan"
To all directly-administered city-level Party committees and
people’s governments, all provincial commissions and ministries, all units of agencies
directly subordinate to the provincial government or Party committee, all
provincially-managed enterprises and institutes of higher education, and all people’s
The "Program for Construction of a Peaceful Henan (2006-2010)"
has been agreed upon and is hereby promulgated by both the provincial Party
committee and the provincial government. Please carry out this program fully in
accordance with the actual situation in your respective area and department.
Henan Provincial Party Committee, Henan Province People’s Government, April 26, 2006
Program for Construction of a Peaceful
Peaceful construction is a project that ensures the building of a harmonious socialist society and the progression of collective economic development. It is also a project regarding popular sentiments that upholds the fundamental interests of the people and tightly links the relationship of the people with cadres. It is also a foundational project that enhances the Party’s governance ability and solidifies the Party’s governance position. The Eleventh Five-year plan is an important strategic opportunity to make a giant leap in development, and spare no effort to be in the forefront of the government’s campaign to raise up the development of central China.
The period from 2006 to 2010 is also a time of prominent
conflict among the people, rising crime, and increasing complexity in the
struggle against enemies. The tasks of maintaining social stability and protecting
reform and development are very arduous. The following program was formulated
in accordance with the spirit of the central government in combination with the
(1) Guiding Ideology and Objectives of the Struggle
1. Guiding ideology. Resolutely treat the important Deng Xiaoping theory and
“Three Represents” as the guiding ideology and deeply carry out the spirit of
the Sixteenth Party Congress as well as the third, fourth and fifth plenum of
the Sixteenth Party Congress. Completely implement the scientific view of development,
in accordance with the requirements of constructing a harmonious society. Under
the united leadership of Party committees and governments at all levels, organize
and mobilize all types of forces in society. Take the establishment and perfection of a
long-term work mechanism as the core, the strengthening of grassroots
construction as the focal point, and the implementation of comprenhensive
management of social order measures as the main thread. Strengthen leadership responsibility
systems, extensively undertake activities to establish peaceful areas and work units,
2. Objective of the Struggle.
Through establishing a peaceful countryside, peaceful
communities, peaceful work units, a peaceful system, peaceful county (city)
areas, peaceful cities, and a peaceful Henan, maintain social and political stability
throughout the province, maintain good public
order, and keep the index of the masses sense of security index above 90
percent, make Henan a leading province in terms of peaceful construction.
Clearly raise the ability to resolve conflicts and disputes, and strive to ensure that mass incidents that have a serious influence on the nation do not occur. Perfect mechanisms to handle and resolve conflicts and disputes, effectively resolve prominent problems raised through petitioning, decrease the number of repeat petitions, petitions that skip a level of government, collective petitions, and petitions to Beijing.
Raise the ability to manage the public security situation, strive to ensure that criminal cases that may have a serious influence on the nation do not occur. Further perfect the public order control and prevention system, effectively manage prominent public order problems and areas with significant public order problems. Reduce the crime rate to below the national average, and raise the rate at which criminal cases are solved above the national average. Effectively halt serious and repeat crimes. Clearly reduce homicide, robbery and theft cases.
Clearly raise the ability to eliminate hidden safety dangers,
strive to ensure that accidents involving the deaths or injuries of groups of
people that may have a serious influence on the nation do not occur. Safe production responsibility systems should
be implemented, safe production should be steadily improved. Decrease the numbers of all types of
accidents. Lower the rate of deaths per hundred million yuan of GDP in 2010 by at
least 35 percent from the figure for 2005.
Clearly raise the ability to facilitate economic
construction, strive to ensure that economic crimes that may have a serious
influence on the nation do not occur. Further improve conditions for economic
development, timely resolve prominent problems that may disturb healthy economic
development. Promptly investigate and resolve cases of corruption, bribery, and
economic crimes that disrupt the socialist market economy.
The ability to maintain state security should be clearly
raised, and we must do our best to ensure that incidents that endanger state
security or political stability and which may have a serious influence on the
nation do not occur. Mechanisms to fight enemies and terrorism should be
further perfected. The struggle against powerful enemies’ activities that may
have widespread disruptive results, and against the illegal activities of
religious cult organizations such as Falun Gong, should be discovered early,
fully controlled, and satisfactorily disposed of.
The ability to justly carry out the law should be clearly
raised, and we must do our best to ensure that cases involving the discipline
of judicial and law enforcement officials that may have a serious influence on
the nation do not occur. Judicial guarantees should be further strengthened,
and the law enforcement environment should be improved to a clear extent. The
educational management mechanism for political-legal personnel should be
further improved, and the quality and fighting ability of these individuals should
be further strengthened. The quality and efficiency of law enforcement should also
be further improved.
Encompassing the aforementioned objectives, the foci for 2006-2007 are the strengthening of basic construction at the grassroots level, strengthening a leadership responsibility system, perfecting a long-term work mechanism, and resolving prominent problems, and having 40% or more county (city) areas meeting the provincial standard as leaders in peaceful construction. Using this as the base, we must do our best to solidify these achievements and raise the bar by having 80% or more county (city) areas meet the provincial standard as leaders in peaceful construction by 2010.
(2) Key work points
Actively prevent and appropriately deal with mass incidents. Strengthen the construction of governance ability, persist in a scientific view of development and proper view of career achievement. Take the greatest expansion of the people’s basic interests as the starting and stopping point of all work. Satisfactorily bring about, develop, and safeguard the interests of the masses so that all people can share in the fruits of reform and development. Firmly establish a view of “the interests of the people is no small matter” and firmly perform good deeds for the masses, solve real problems, firmly prevent and redress any kind of behavior that harms the interests of the masses, and prevent and reduce conflicts and disputes at the root or origin. Establish and perfect mechanisms that evaluate risks to social stability, and formulate policies and work measures to correctly reflect and take into account different aspects of the interests of the masses. Achieve scientific, democratic, and lawful decision making. Promote openness in government affairs, rural administration and factory administration, and implement and announce a public hearing system for important matters involving the direct interests of the masses. Perfect social safeguards and aid systems, safeguard poor urban and rural residents and other aspects of interests of the masses, protect and provide for the lawful rights and interests of families of disabled service and revolutionary servicepeople. Strengthen the management of employment in enterprises, perfect and implement a long-term mechanism to prevent rural workers wage arrears, and guarantee that rural worker promptly receive wages in full. Implement active employment policies and perfect the employment service system. Strictly implement business bankruptcy laws and policies related to business bankruptcy laws, prevent erosion of state capital, and appropriately arrange for worker and staff life. Strictly prohibit unlawful occupation of property, and earnestly implement land requisition, urban and rural construction, planning management, demolition and relocation, immigration, and other laws and policies. Guarantee stipulated compensation and appropriate allocation of personnel. Increase the strength of environmental protection law enforcement and seriously investigate and prosecute cases of ecological destruction and environmental pollution.
Perfect the four levels (city, province, countryside and village) of the conflict and dispute investigation and mediation network. Combine civil, administrative, and judicial mediation and resolve conflicts and disputes at their place of origin, at the basic level, and in their initial stage. With regard to investigation of conflict and disputes, establish a work station, gradually delineate responsibilities, and handle them within a time limit. For important conflicts and disputes, implement a system where leading cadres assume personal responsibility for resolving, supervise, and file numbers for these cases. Earnestly implement the petitioning responsibility systems, especially responsibility systems for initial letters and visits. Go down to the basic level to resolve problems reported by the masses, and pragmatically raise the rate of resolving petitioning cases and the rate of stability for involved parties. Actively resolve interpersonal disputes, and reduce the occurrence of “civil-into-criminal” cases. Adjust socioeconomic relations in accordance with the law, strengthen civil and administrative trial work, and earnestly resolve the problem of difficulties in carrying it out. In 2006 the rate of resolving implementation cases should reach 80 percent, and implementation work should progress on a positive track in 2007 and after.
Perfect a mass incident management work system that covers organizational instruction, preparatory drills, emergency responses, allocation of forces, and equipment safeguards. Mass incidents should be managed by the party committee and government where the incident occurs. The province and all cities and counties should create and perfect strategies [for dealing with mass incidents]. Strengthen construction of forces to deal with emergencies and purposefully undertake technical skills training and actual combat drills. Strictly informatize reporting systems, standardize reporting procedures, and ensure that information is timely and accurate. Ascertain the state of world affairs and accurately evaluate developmental trends. Maintain cautious use of police force, weaponry, and coercive measures. Quell disturbances as quickly as possible according to law and deal with post-disturbance work.
2.Strike hard at every type of criminal activity according to law. Establish an evaluation and early warning system for public safety trends. Do a good job of striking at robbery and theft, homicide, and eliminating evil elements. Severely strike hard at organized crime, crime by dark forces, serious violent crime, recurring monetary crime, and drug crime. Forcefully frighten criminal elements. The guiding principle of severely striking hard at criminal offenses according to law should be implemented during all stages: investigation, arrest, indictment, trial, sentencing, imprisonment and reform. Strengthen the focus and effectiveness of striking hard at crime. Strengthen the supervision of criminal procedure activities. Prevent and rectify situations such as where there is a case but it is not brought to court, a crime but no investigation, punishment is replaced by a fine, and inappropriately lenient sentences. Increase the standardization of prison and reeducation through labor work, and raise the quality of education and reform. Perfect the safety responsibility system, and guarantee the safety and stability in prisons and reeducation through labor centers. The escape rate should be lower than target set by the Ministry of Justice.
Severely strike hard at serious economic crime according to law, further reorganize and standardize market economic order. Emphasize striking hard at crimes of financing, tax evasion, trade bribery, violation of intellectual property, production and sale of false and inferior goods, and other serious economic crimes that concern national economic stability, influence social stability and destroy market economic order. Also emphasize criminal behavior that violates environmental resource protection. Put forth effort to do a good job investigating and prosecuting cases that involve large sums of money, are extensive in nature, and are harmful and serious. Strengthen research on detection countermeasures for areas that have a lot of economic crime. Also strengthen bureau and district coordination, raise the integrated ability to discover, prevent, and strike hard at economic crime. Continue to have a firm grasp on special regulation of market order, and further strengthen supervision and management of product manufacture and circulation processes. Severely strike hard against illegal production activity that endangers the health, lives, property and safety of the masses, and practically safeguard the economic order of the market.
3. Strengthen public security prevention and control. Perfect a quick response mechanism that uses the 110 command center to funnel in reports. Strengthen community policing work. Manage, use, and safeguard the duties of public security patrol officers. Strictly manage special types of professions. Increasing the strength of management of internet cafes and public places of entertainment. Increase inspection, control and management of harmful information spread over the internet and mobile communication devices. Strengthen management of firearms, ammunition, deadly poisons, radioactive materials, and other such dangerous items. Increase suppression of repulsive phenomena such as pornography, gambling, and drugs. Strengthen public security work in complicated public places, areas where there are many temporary residents, railway lines, vital transportation lines, marketplaces and enterprises, schools, and surrounding areas. Strengthen public security prevention work in state-run institutions. Solve problems remaining from institutional reform of public security in colleges and universities. Ensure full force for college and university defense work. Develop and standardize the public security service industry. Progressively have public security enter agencies, organizations, state-run institutions, enterprises, large-scale public places, and residential areas. 推行物业安全管理. Thoroughly carry out multiform mass prevention and mass treatment activities, strengthen rural public security prevention and fire prevention work. Perfect mechanisms for joint cooperation to ensure public security in border areas, and promote a public security prevention contracts. Establish multi-channel, multi-profession public security prevention teams. Implement a system of system of rewards for reporting criminals. Perfect and implement related laws and policies, ensure the adequacy of special funds for those who see injustice and are courageous enough to act, encourage, reward, and provide aid and safeguards to those who see injustice and are courageous enough to act. Taking cities and counties as the units, progressively construct an integrated, interconnected and shared resource technological prevention network and have it cover important sub-districts, important intersections, and bustling areas. Construction of technological preventions equipment should be entered into the overall plans for basic city facilities and civilian building construction. Carry out integrated design, concurrent planning and independent 验收. Agencies, state run institutions, enterprises, large-scale cultural and sports locales, and residential complexes should all install and use technological prevention equipment. Mandate implementation of technological prevention programs for key departments, work units and crucial positions relating to the national economy and people's livelihood, and high risk professions. Urge state institutions and enterprises to provide society with compensated technological prevention services. Technological prevention equipment should be gradually introduced in rural areas where conditions are sufficient.
4. Strengthen work on the prevention of special group
crimes. Create a floating population management and service network. Perfect
processing systems, allocate professional personnel, fully coordinate and
manage these workers, ensure funding for this work, and informatize the public
order of the floating population. Implement an “owner responsibility system” to
manage the floating population, whereby files are kept on the people renting
out as well as living in rented apartments. Strengthen the aid management
system for wandering beggars who are unable to provide for themselves, and
investigate and punish those who use force while begging. Provide placement,
assistance and education to persons released from prison and reeducation
through labor centers. Establish an information management system for persons
released from prison and reeducation through labor centers. Each provincially administered
city should establish or authenticate exemplary data on help, education, and
placement. Strengthen the establishment of forbidden drugs and educational
management of personnel who take drugs. Decrease the number of drug-related
criminals. Establish and perfect the key points of rearing, guardianship,
education, management work system and safeguard system for street children,
children of those serving prison sentences, idle youths, and rural children who
have to stay at home. Establish special posts that integrate teams of social
workers. Establish aid and protection centers for street children. Strike hard
against backstage control. Control the begging of street children and the
instigation of street children criminal gangs and other dark and vicious powers.
Strengthen the construction and management of reform schools. Perfect the work
system for helping and educating criminal minors. Implement "the program
for tomorrow: preventing youth criminals." At each level, establish "
5. Keep close watch and strike hard against hostile forces of sabotage. Strengthen the work of information (intelligence?) news, and enhance the capacity to give early warnings. Strengthen restrictions on reconnaissance, and effectively prevent hostile forces from utilizing hot social problems to create disturbances. Strengthen management over the activities of outside NGOs. Strengthen national security education and bring into play the function of the people's line of defense’s fighting the enemy. According to law, strengthen the management over religious affairs and resist outside utilization of religion to conduct infiltration activities. Strike hard against Falun Gong and other perverse religious sects that violate the law and commit criminal acts as well as using the name of religion to proceed with illegal activities. Unremittingly complete the work of education and transformation, leading infatuated Falun Gong practitioners to merge into normal society. Seriously carry out anti-cult admonitory education and create "no cult community (street committee, township)" activities. Strengthen prevention, control and handling of cult problems, and increase funding, and perfect a uniformly managed long-acting mechanism. Strengthen Anti-Terrorism special agencies and the construction of specialty forces. Raise the level of specialization when it comes to anti-terrorism work. Expand anti-terrorism equipment, safety funds, and reserve materials, and the overall work strength. Perfect anti-terrorism preparation, and launch regular training and actual combat drills. Strengthen provincial, and the two municipal levels of anti-terrorism discussion and decision mechanisms in addition to realizing relevant work-unit information exchange and resource sharing. Strictly manage all kinds of dangerous goods. Fulfill important goals and vital aspects of safety measures.
6. Strengthen safe production work. Perfect responsibility and safe production supervision mechanisms for senior administrative officials, law enforcement departments and proprietors. Strengthen enterprise law [people], individual privately owned proprietor production safety principal responsibility, support an increased safety investment in production management of work units, carry out safe technological transformations, launch safety standardization exercises, increase the level of production safety. According to law, implement production safety licensing system, strictly execute access to production safety conditions and standards. Give primary importance to guarding against the following: enlarged coal mines, illegal coal mines, dangerous chemicals, fireworks and firecrackers, explosive materials, construction enterprises and building units in charge of construction, the safety, hidden dangers and reform strength of personnel concentrated in one place; push forward the arrangement and investigation of governance normalization and institutionalization. Perfect the preparation for important and especially major breakdowns in emergencies; strengthen practice and implementation. Perfect a fire prevention safety responsibility system and an administrative supervision system. Strictly manage traffic safety. Expand the strength on the ban on unlawful production safety actions. According the principle of "three do not let pass," seriously investigate and prosecute each accident due to negligence, and find out who the responsible party is. Perfect a target system of production safety control, establish and implement a production safety responsibility system. By 2010, the number of deaths per 1 million tons of coal will be controlled, falling to less than 1.15. In industry and Mining Trade Enterprises, the death rate of 100,000 in 2005 will fall by more than 20 percent, road and traffic fatality rates will decrease by more than 20 percent, average annual number of deaths due to fire fighting should decrease by 4 percent or more from the 10th Five Year Plan period.
(3) Main Measures
1. Strengthen Social Management. Establish a perfected social management structure that is lead by Party committees, responsible for by the government, coordinated with society, and participated in by the public. Be resolute in taking the people as the basic unit, managing according to law, administrating according to law, improving innovative management methods and work systems, integrating social management and social service resources, and improving management results. Firmly push forward construction and management of village and urban communities. Strengthen the management of community groups, professional organizations, social intermediary groups, and other such social organizations, and bring out their ability to provide services, report complaints, and standardize behavior. Expand and standardize the work of lawyers, notaries, expert witnesses, and other such legal workers. Dedicatedly carry out policies on minorities and religion, and handle sudden incidents related to minority affairs and destabilizing religious factors in a prompt and appropriate way according to law. Frequently hold activities to promote unity among nationalities in minority areas, and establish harmonious socialist minority relations based on unity, equality and mutual assistance. Actively guide the adaptation of religion to socialism. Quicken the establishment of a public emergency response system that has united guidance, is sensitive and complete, has orderly coordination, and is highly responsive. Enact and improve comprehensive and multilayered strategies, actively prevent and appropriately handle all types of sudden public incidents, and raise the ability to ensure public safety.
2. Strengthen moral and rule of law construction. Fully
carry out the “Implementation Program for the Construction of Public Morals.”
Enhance social ethics, professional ethics, and family virtues. Promote basic
socialist morals, establish a socialist view on values primarily based on the
“eight glories and eight shames,” and push forward the formation and
development of a good ethical environment. Undertake education on sincerity and
honesty, speed up the construction of systems of honesty, and promote the
establishment of a new social environment characterized by civility, harmony,
sincerity, honesty, and obedience to the law. Establish a work system that
gives equal weight to education, systemization and supervision to punish and
prevent corruption. Immediately investigate and process major cases involving
corruption, bribery, dereliction of duty and infringement of rights due to
malfeasance, and prevent job-related crimes. Strengthen provincial rule of law
work, improve the system of local laws and regulations, push forward
administration according to law and just enforcement of the law work, and
ceaselessly expand grassroots democracy. Create and implement a plan to carry
out the Fifth Five-year Plan to disseminate the
law, and increase legal propaganda efforts. Widely carry out activities to
bring law into government agencies, schools, communities, villages, and
enterprises. Stress the control of the legal education of leading cadres,
judicial and administrative law enforcement personnel, enterprise managers,
young people, grassroots village-level cadres, and urban community
administrators. Disseminate information on safety, and increase the public’s
recognition of and ability to spot safety issues.
3. Strengthen the establishment of grassroots Party organizations and public self-governing organizations. Deepen Party building work, increase strength, spur vitality, and increase efficiency at the grassroots level. Consolidate and expand Communist party achievements in advanced education, fully launch the “three levels united create” campaign, put in a great deal of effort to carry out the “double strong” project, strengthen party building in urban community organizations, new economic organizations, and new social organizations. Strengthen education and management of migrant or traveling workers who are Party members. Popularize the “village situation and public opinion problem-solving discussion” system and continue to push forward individual professions’ “five goods” activities. Put into effect the cadre training program of the Eleventh Five-year Plan, and reorganize weak or ineffective organizations. Ceaselessly raise basic Party organizations’ cohesion, ability to innovate, and capacity to struggle. Bring into play basic Party organizations’ core leadership role in peaceful construction. Village (street) Party committees and governments shall shift their functions and make the maintenance of social stability one of their fundamental responsibilities. They should also improve work mechanisms, adjust and improve their power, and ensure that their social stability work responsibilities and related measures are carried out. Strengthen the standardization of village committees, residential committees and other such self-governing social organizations. Perfect public security civil mediation organizations, and improve democratic elections, democratic policy making, democratic management, democratic supervision. Fully bring into play self-education, self-management and self-service, and push forward peaceful construction measures at the grassroots level.
4. Strengthen management of the education of political-legal workers. Push forward political-legal workers’ revolutionization, professionalism, and normalized establishment. Deeply undertake ideological political education, socialist legal theory education, and professional ethics education. Strengthen security cadres’ and police officers’ awareness of law enforcement for the people, and ensure political-legal workers’ eternal loyalty to the Party, the Motherland, the people, and the law. Ensure strict adherence to justice in enforcing the law, and fully bring into play its principle force in peaceful construction. Strictly follow “politically reliable, competent in work, and correct in behavior” requirements and related regulations in the appointment of political and legal department leaders. Nominate, investigate, examine and approve members of leadership groups, especially main responsible members. Within five years train in rotation leadership groups that include political and legal department cadres in order to raise the quality of their political work. Increase the strength of Party political-legal committee supervision over law enforcement activities. Strengthen restrictive supervision between and within political-legal agencies, and establish files on security cadres’ and police officers’ law enforcement records. Implement a system of law enforcement that is open, responsible, and that pursues responsibility for wrongly decided cases. Work hard to prevent and reduce the number of wrongly decided cases, and greatly reduce the number of petitions involving the law and litigation. Increase the power of supervision over political-legal workers, and strictly investigate and punish security cadre and police officer discipline violations. Resolve problems the public has strong reactions to, such as some people being above the law, throwing one’s weight around, mistreatment of the public, lax law enforcement, unjust law enforcement, and bribery and perversion of justice. Determinedly expel from the political-legal ranks workers who are not suitable for such work.
5. Strengthen basic grassroots construction of integrated
political-legal governance. Strengthen judicial guarantees, and ensure that
police power and funding is appropriate for the basic responsibilities of
political-legal agencies. Political-legal agencies should try their best to
have their police forces reach the national average within five years. Perfect
the political-legal department funding guarantee system, pass and implement a
public expenses guarantee standard, and the amount of money necessary to cover
political-legal departments’ expenses should be listed in the finance
department’s budget. Integrate grassroots power to maintain stability and
strictly implement relevant regulations. Strengthen construction of
political-legal departments’ basic facilities and equipment, and of
village-level comprehensive management and grassroots political-legal
organizations. Emphasize the adequacy of force of basic political-legal units
such as public security police stations, judicial offices and people’s courts.
Strengthen the establishment of legal aid mechanisms. Increase the speed of
informatization of integrated political-legal measures work, and establish a
province-wide political-legal management information network.
6. Strengthen guidance of public opinion. Propaganda, culture and news publication departments should firmly establish political awareness, awareness of the current situation, and awareness of responsibilities. Strengthen management of the news media, publication units, internet websites, institutes of higher education, social science research institutes, and other such units.
Ensure that advanced culture firmly occupies the battlefield of public opinion. Increase the power of “Sweep Away Pornography and Strike Down Illegal Publications” work. Clean up and standardize the order of the publishing market, taking special care to prevent illegal outside political publications to enter the province. Correctly handle the guidance of public opinion, and strictly control dissemination of sensitive cases. Strictly manage outside news media, and prevent illegal interviewing activities. Increase the strength of propaganda on peaceful construction work. Establish and propagate an advanced model, and create a good public opinion atmosphere.
(4) Organizational leadership
1. Perfect the responsibility system. Peaceful construction should be implemented through the united and organized leadership of all levels of Party committees and government. All levels of Party committees and government should take development as their primary task and stability as their primary responsibility, and ensure regional peacefulness. Strictly implement a leadership responsibility system. Leaders of all levels of Party and government administration are the primary responsible persons for peaceful construction, 分管领导 are the directly responsible persons, and other related leaders carry the responsibility for carrying out the administration of such work. Strictly implement a department and unit responsibility system according to the principles of 属地管理、分级负责, 谁主管谁负责、谁经营谁负责.
Distribute tasks throughout all levels, and distribute the responsibility for peaceful construction to the grassroots level, departments (units), and responsible persons. All levels of Party political-legal committees should fully exercise their function of organizing coordination of leadership under the leadership of Party committees and the government. Strengthen investigatory research, and the supervision and urging of investigations. Summarize and disseminate model experiences, and push forward deeper implementation of peaceful construction.
2. Strengthen funding guarantees. All levels of government and their respective finance departments should increase the level of guarantee of funding for peaceful construction. Enter the amount of funding the government should take responsibility for into the finance department of the same level’s budget, and submit correspondingly more as economic development gradually improves, and guarantee the smooth implementation of peaceful construction.
Beginning in 2007, the funding previously provided by the provincial finance department to subsidize grassroots political-legal departments’ handling of cases, vehicle equipment, investigatory agencies’ case-handling accommodation and technology, renovation of trial courts and people’s courts, court and judicial office facility purchasing, legal aid, network construction, clothing, weapons and ammunition should be consolidated and gradually increased each year. Replace subsidies with rewards and urge basic grassroots construction.
In accordance with the “取之于民用之于民” principle, gradually establish a mass prevention and mass treatment funding guarantee system that conforms with the requirements of the socialist market economy.
3. Resolutely embrace joint sponsorship. All departments and systems should
firmly embrace the requirements of peaceful construction objectives, and fully
bring into play their functions. Take the initiative to bear responsibility for
realizing the interests of the masses, dissolve conflicts and disputes, reduce
illegal behavior and crime, and maintain social stability. Take control of
one’s respective department and system’s peaceful construction work.
Realistically strengthen ideological education of internal personnel and all
types of management work, and prevent the negative influence on social
stability resulting from poor work. All levels and all departments should issue
opinions on the specific implementation of peaceful construction. Diligently
and responsibly resolve problems related to work responsibilities. Matters that
should be taken care of at a given level cannot be foisted upon superior
levels, and problems that should be resolved by a certain department cannot be
foisted upon society. All levels of Party committees and government, along with
special leadership groups related to the maintenance of social stability and
their offices, should perfect a work system, make their work responsibilities
more clear-cut, ensure adequate power, put their interrelationships in good
order, and fully bring into play their work abilities.
4. Strictly assess, reward and punish. Have peaceful construction enter all levels of government management of annual work objectives. Perfect the system for inspection, supervision, quantitative measurement, and comparison for rewards and punishment. Make peaceful construction serve as an important standard for testing all levels of Party and government leadership groups and governance ability and governance level of cadres, as well as an important part of the assessment and evaluation of cadres. The results of these assessments should be an important basis in determining the rewarding and punishment of cadres, and the promotion of cadres to higher positions and levels. Enact advanced peaceful construction standards and measures for assessing and rewarding peaceful construction. Implement flexible management of advanced peaceful construction areas, systems and units. Wholeheartedly commend and reward areas, systems, units and personnel whose peaceful construction work is steady and has had outstanding results. Give a record of merit and rewards to main Party and government leaders and 分管领导 who serve in an "Advanced Peaceful Construction County (City) Area" for three consecutive years. Give an honorary title to main Party and government leaders and 分管领导 who serve in a "Provincial Peaceful Construction Advanced County (City) Area" for five consecutive years. Provide focused management of areas and units that have prominent problems in peaceful construction work. In accordance with relevant regulations, strictly seek responsibility of those who, due to negligence or malfeasance, cause serious mass incidents, criminal cases or accidents of public security. Sternly seek responsibility of main local Party and government leaders if mass incident or important petitioning cases are not promptly disposed of and result in serious consequences.